FIFA demands evidence from England
Football’s world governing body, FIFA, has called on the English
Football Association to provide a complete report on the statement David
Triesman made on Tuesday regarding claims of corruption within the 2018 and
2022 World Cup bidding process.
Triesman, a former chairman of the English FA, told a British
parliamentary inquiry on Tuesday that FIFA executive committee members Ricardo
Teixeira, Jack Warner, Nicolas Leoz and Worawi Makudi had asked for favours,
including money and a knighthood, to vote for England’s unsuccessful bid to
host the 2018 World Cup.
According to Triesman, Warner allegedly requested for the sum of
£2.5 million to be channelled through to him to build a football education
academy in his homeland,
Trinidad, while Paraguay’s Nicolas Leoz allegedly asked for a
knighthood in return for his vote.
Triesman also told the parliament’s department of culture, media
and sport committee that Brazilian FIFA representative Teixeira and Thailand’s
Makudi also asked for money in return for their votes.
FIFA Secretary General Jerome Valcke has however written to the
FA requesting a complete report of the statements made and any other
“In his letter to the FA, the FIFA secretary general expresses
the extreme concern of FIFA and the FIFA president at the latest allegations
questioning the integrity of some FIFA executive committee members in
connection with the bidding procedure for the 2018 and 2022 FIFA World Cups,”
read a statement posted on the FIFA website.
“He adds that to be in a position to examine the situation
thoroughly and with clear-sightedness, FIFA asks the FA to submit a complete
report from Lord David Triesman, by means of which the latter would relate his
declarations fully and provide any and all documentary evidence at his
disposal.” Also on Tuesday, the committee was told by member of parliament
Damian Collins that there was evidence from the Sunday Times newspaper that
Issa Hayatou of Cameroon and Jacques Anouma of Cote d’Ivoire were paid by
Hayatou, who’s the president of CAF, and Anouma, were separately
alleged to have been paid £912,200 to vote for Qatar’s successful 2022 bid.
The FIFA statement went on: “The secretary general has also sent
a letter to the Sunday Times to ask the newspaper to provide FIFA with any
piece of evidence with regard to the statements made to MP John Whittingdale.
“The Sunday Times had already provided world’s football
governing body with all of the evidence and documentation at its disposal.
Nevertheless, FIFA asks the English newspaper to submit as soon as possible any
other piece of evidence that it may be in possession of and which has not yet
been sent to FIFA.
“In particular, reference is made in the letter to the
allegations regarding a ‘whistleblower who had worked with the Qatar bid’, who
allegedly made some declarations regarding the matter in question.”
Meanwhile, the Qatar 2022 World Cup bid team has denied
allegations it paid Hayatou and Anouma to vote for the tiny Gulf nation in last
December’s hosting decision.
“We categorically deny these allegations,” read a statement from
the Qatari bid team. “We have nothing to hide and are prepared to support and
cooperate with any further investigations and will be happy to counter any
allegations from whistleblowers with real evidence.” The statement added: “The
Qatar 2022 bid team ran an historic campaign that changed football. We were
beset by rumours and allegations from the outset.
“Bidding, like football, is a rough sport. Happily, our promise
of bringing football to new lands and expanding its legacies across the
developing world compelled FIFA.”
Hayatou not left out
Hayatou has also categorically denied allegations of corruption
brought against him before the British parliament.
“This kind of reporting to create and propagate false information to destroy
his reputation, leadership and integrity, will not succeed,” read a statement
on the CAF website. “The president of CAF said all these accusations brought
against him are pure invention and an attempt to discredit him. He is anxiously
waiting for the so called proof.” The statement added: “[Hayatou] is ready to
co operate with whosoever would like to investigate the accusations and
reserves the right to seek legal redress against those propagating this
campaign of denigration.”