Archive for nigeriang

ICPC summons Bankole’s aides over N5.8 billion scam

ICPC summons Bankole’s aides over N5.8 billion scam

Aides
to the speaker of the House of Representatives, Dimeji Bankole, will
today appear before the Independent Corrupt Practices and other related
offences Commission (ICPC) over their involvement in the 5.2 billion
naira rural electrification scandal.

The aides include the senior special assistant on communications to the speaker, Kayode Odunaro.

A source within the
commission informed NEXT that the aides are expected to testify on
their roles in the nominations of companies that executed the rural
electrification project across the country.

Ndidi Elumelu, the
former chairman of the House of Representatives committee on power, and
Nicholas Ugbane, the chairman of the Senate committee on power, are
among those already facing prosecution by the Economic and Financial
Crimes Commission (EFCC) over the matter.

The EFCC had
concluded its investigations, which exonerated the speaker and charged
Mr. Elumelu, Mr. Ugbane, and others for their involvement in the
scandal.

As earlier reported
by NEXT however, ongoing investigations by the ICPC indicate that Mr.
Bankole may be involved in the scandal.

When contacted, Folu Olamiti, the media consultant to the ICPC, confirmed the expected appearance of the aides.

“Yes, some of the
speaker’s aides will appear before us tomorrow (today),” Mr. Olamiti
stated, while refusing to comment further on the issue.

Mr. Odunaro told
NEXT he was ready to appear before the commission, although he had “not
received any (invitation) letter from the ICPC.” He explained that he
had earlier written a petition to the commission through the speaker’s
chief security officer.

“There was a time I
wrote a petition to the ICPC on a plot to rope in the speaker. There
was a serious plot to nail the speaker, which involved some cheques of
UBA,” Mr. Odunaro said.

The UBA cheques

Though Mr. Odunaro
did not elaborate on the UBA cheques, findings by NEXT show that these
were the cheques issued by Mr. Elumelu to companies who had completed
their own part of the electrification project.

“The cheques were
meant for the companies. But there was a woman who was a go between,
between the speaker and Elumelu. Elumelu told us that the speaker
recommended the woman as a middle-man so as to limit his involvement.
The woman was supposed to collect the cheques from Elumelu, take them
to UBA, and transfer the agreed sum to the companies,” a source in the
ICPC told NEXT.

The source, who
declined to mention the name of the woman, stated that “the woman is
now on the run; we understand she escaped out of the country. We are
searching for her and once we get her, the whole truth about the
speaker’s involvement in the scandal will be clear. Elumelu also told
us that it was Bankole that gave him the names of the companies that
got the contract, though Bankole denied that.”

Mr. Elumelu and
some other members of his committee; Mr.Ugbane; the permanent secretary
in the ministry of power, Abdulahi Aliyu; and the managing director of
the Rural Electrification Agency, Samuel Ibi Gekpe; are all facing
trial by the EFCC for their involvement in the scandal.

The legislators are
alleged to have influenced the officials of the Rural Electrification
Agency to smuggle contracts that were not approved by the presidency
into their operations.

In all, 21 companies believed to be associated with members of the House of Representatives, got the controversial contracts.

NEXT learnt that the money, which was meant to be paid to the
companies that successfully completed their own electrification
projects, is still with the UBA, even though the companies have
completed the projects.

Click to Read More Latest News from Nigeria

Cholera death toll rises to 67 in Bauchi

Cholera death toll rises to 67 in Bauchi

Mr Dambam told
journalists on Wednesday in Bauchi that the agency had recorded 1,742
cases in five of the 20 local government areas of the state since the
outbreak of the disease in June. He listed Bauchi, Shira, Tafawa
Balewa, Toro and Katagum Local Government Areas as those affected by
the epidemic, which started in Bauchi Metropolitan Council.

According to him,
Bauchi Local Government has recorded 1,368 cases with 31 deaths;
Ganjuwa 284 cases with 20 deaths, while Tafawa Balewa, Shira and Toro
recorded about 30 cases but with no deaths recorded in those areas.

Dambam claimed the source of the epidemic was from the neighbouring
states of Adamawa, Gombe and Borno, stating that “there were earlier
outbreaks of the disease in these states before Bauchi.”

Click to Read More Latest News from Nigeria

72-year-old alleged rapist gets bail

72-year-old alleged rapist gets bail

Mr Mamman,
popularly called Dashi, was said to have committed the offence on March
4 and had been remanded in prison after he was arraigned before a
Senior Magistrate’s Court in Katsina. The prosecution alleged that the
accused lured the girl with N20 and forcefully had carnal knowledge of
her.

The offence was allegedly committed at the accused person’s
residence in Gorar Dansaka village, while the girl sustained injuries
and was hospitalised at the Malumfashi General Hospital. Ruling on the
bail application moved by the defence counsel, Joseph Chukwuemeka, the
judge, Abbas Bawale, granted the accused bail in the sum of N100,000
with two sureties in like sum.

Click to Read More Latest News from Nigeria

Power company threatens to disconnect Port Harcourt airport

Power company threatens to disconnect Port Harcourt airport

The Zone’s
Principal Manager, Public Affairs, Emma Anene, told journalists in Port
Harcourt that the Federal Airports Authority of Nigeria (FAAN) was
owing N7.4 million at the airport. He said the bill covered between
June 2008 and May 2010, adding that the airport would be disconnected
on August 24 if FAAN failed to pay up.

He recalled that
the FAAN at a meeting held with the management of the airport in May,
pledged to pay the debt in two instalments. The spokesman lamented that
nothing had been paid so far, adding that PHCN was now expected to meet
its financial obligations from generated revenue.

Click to Read More Latest News from Nigeria

Son arrested for allegedly beating mother to death

Son arrested for allegedly beating mother to death

The Police Public
Relations Officer (PPRO) for the command, Altine Daniel, confirmed the
arrest of the suspect in Yola on Wednesday.

Hussaini Gambo, a
Youth Leader in Wuro-Jabbe ward, Yola South local government, where the
incident occurred, told journalists that the suspect had a quarrel with
his aged mother at her residence in Wuro-Jabbe on Saturday.

He said that the
quarrel led the son to beat her to a state of coma, forcing neighbours
to rush her to Yola Specialist Hospital, where she passed away on
Monday.

Click to Read More Latest News from Nigeria

CNPP expresses doubt over 2011 elections

CNPP expresses doubt over 2011 elections

Balarabe Musa, National Chairman of the Conference
of Nigerian Political Parties (CNPP), on Wednesday expressed concern
that the 2011 general elections might not hold in January 2011. Mr Musa
told journalists in Abuja that the concern was due to the “indifference
of the government and National Assembly.” “I think from the
indifference of the government and National Assembly, we may not have
the elections either in January or even April 2011,” he said. “And that
means series of political crisis because by the May 25, 2011 this
government, including the National and State Assemblies must go,
because they will have no legal power to continue in office. We believe
those responsible for the delay now are the federal government and the
National Assembly. If they can behave responsibly, even at this late
hour, we can still have proper elections in January or April.”

Mr Musa,
who is also the National Chairman of the Peoples Redemption Party, said
if the election was to hold peacefully, then there might be an interim
administration after May 29, 2011. “In April, it is virtually
impossible because if you have it in April, how many days do you have
before hand over on May 29, 2011? And there must be hand over on that
date, otherwise there will be revolutionary crisis in the country,” he
said.

Click to Read More Latest News from Nigeria

Anelka slams French federation over 18-match ban

Anelka slams French federation over 18-match ban

Nicolas Anelka has
described the French Football Federation (FFF) as a “bunch of clowns”
after they handed the striker an 18-game international ban for his role
in the national team’s World Cup revolt in South Africa.

The 31-year-old was
handed the suspension by an FFF disciplinary commission on Tuesday, a
decision derided by Anelka, who said he never intended to play for
France again anyway.

“For me, that
commission thing is absolute nonsense, an aberration, a farce, an
attempt not to lose face,” Anelka was quoted as saying by daily France
Soir on Wednesday.

“They know that
very well. They didn’t punish anybody… because the Les Bleus chapter
was closed for me on June 19, when I was kicked out of Knysna,” he
added, referring to the town where France had their World Cup training
camp.

Anelka was banished
from the France squad in South Africa for insulting then coach Raymond
Domenech at halftime of a 2-0 defeat by Mexico in Polokwane, his 69th
international appearance.

“They just entertained the public,” Anelka said of the commission hearing.

New era

“They’d better turn
the page because (new France coach) Laurent Blanc needs to work in
peace. These people are clowns. It makes me die of laughter,” he added.

“For me, since the
World Cup in South Africa, the France team is all in the past… I wear
a blue shirt with Chelsea every weekend and that’s far enough for me,”
The striker did not attend the hearing, where World Cup captain Patrice
Evra was banned for five matches for leading a boycott of a training
session in support of Anelka.

The FFF also banned
Franck Ribery for three games and Jeremy Toulalan for one. Eric Abidal
was the only one of five players involved in Tuesday’s hearing to
escape without sanction.

Ribery accepted his ban but felt the players at the hearing had been cast as scapegoats.

“This is a great
disappointment for me,” Ribery told reporters ahead of Bayern Munich’s
Bundesliga opener against VfL Wolfsburg on Friday.

“What happened at
the World Cup happened to all of us. I do not know why only five
players had to go to Paris (for the hearing).” Unlike Anelka, however,
Ribery plans to continue playing for France.

“Of course. There is no question about that,” the 27-year-old added.

Click to Read More Sports Stories

West Brom manager banks on Odemwingie

West Brom manager banks on Odemwingie

Newly signed
Nigeria striker, Osaze Odemwingie has been tipped by his new boss at
West Bromwich Albiom to help improve the fortunes of the newly promoted
Premier League club.

The manager, Roberto Di Matteo says he is convinced that the arrival of the Super Eagles player will lift spirits at the club.

“I’m pleased he is
joining us because I’m sure he will be able to help us. He has got
great pace. He’s got a great CV and he’s a good player. We need a few
new faces and it lifts everyone when you see a player like him coming
in,” he told reporters in London.

“He is two-footed
and has good experience at a very high level. He’s played as a striker
and a winger in his career. For example, in France he played very much
up front on his own and for Nigeria he’s played wide and sometimes they
play him up front. He scores goals too which is what we want in the
team.”

West Brom are
currently languishing at the bottom of the English Premier League table
after slumping to a 6-0 defeat to Chelsea on the opening day of the new
season.

Sunderland debut

If other necessary
formalities are completed on time, Odemwingie is expected to play his
first game for the club on Saturday, against Sunderland.

“We are still
sorting out his visa so he’s not here yet. Hopefully he’ll join us as
soon as possible. Whether he will play against Sunderland depends on
when he arrives,” Di Matteo said.

He also added that
he expects the former Lokomotiv striker to be fit a week after he
played for Nigeria in a friendly match and also since he was already
playing in the league in Russia.

Apart from
Odemwingie, West Brom are also hoping to bring in Red Bull Salzburg
winger Somen Tchoyi, but they have had a bid rejected for Portsmouth
defender Marc Wilson.

Sacrificial deal

Meanwhile,
Odemwingie has revealed that he chose the West Brom deal in order to
fulfil his long term ambition of playing in England.

“I was given the
opportunity to stay by Lokomotiv and I was prepared to stay for the
sake of the Russian championship and the Europa league. But the club
understands my desire to play in England and we decided not to
procrastinate.

“I am satisfied
with the financial terms of the West Brom offer. But I made some
concessions compared to the contract I had with Lokomotiv.

“For me, the most
important thing is to realise my dream of playing in England with a
full stadium. West Brom have no problems with attendance.”

Odemwingie joins the legion of Super Eagles players playing in
England. They include Kanu Nwankwo who has also played for West Brom
before; Yakubu Aiyegbeni, Joseph Yobo and Victor Anichebe who all star
for Everton; Mikel Obi of Chelsea and Dickson Etuhu of Fulham

Click to Read More Sports Stories

Football Federation meets over Siasia, elections

Football Federation meets over Siasia, elections

The Nigeria
Football Federation will today decide conditions and emoluments for a
new coach for the Super Eagle when the board meets in Abuja to discuss
issues regarding the federation elections, which are enmeshed in
controversies.

Since last week,
reports have been rife that former U-20 and U-23 coach, Samson Siasia
would be named to replace the Swede, Lars Lagerback as Eagles coach.
Lagerback failed to negotiate a new contract after his deal with
Nigeria lapsed last month.

Meanwhile, a source
within the football federation indicated that the board might decide to
leave the decision of hiring a coach for the country’s national team to
the incoming board of the federation.

“We have the NFF
election to organise and we are doing that to the best of our ability.
For now Siasia’s deal will be sealed by the new NFF board” the source
said.

The Maigari-led
board came into power with the impeachment of erstwhile president Sani
Lulu alongside three other executives of the board on July 4 and have
just a few days to the expiration of its tenure.

“The newly elected
board into the NFF would solely have the responsibility to appoint the
new coach for the Super Eagles” the source continued.

Earlier negotiations

The board had
earlier engaged itself in negotiations with the Beijing Olympics silver
winning coach with the only grey area being the pay packet.

While Siasia tabled
a demand of 15 million naira which he later reduced to 12 million, the
Federation was only willing to part with N2 million alongside a car and
a house.

The expectation of
football fans is that both sides will reach a compromise in which
Siasia could come on board so has to start preparation for the
country’s 2012 Nation’s Cup qualifying match slated for September.

Siasia had earlier
hinted of his willingness to reduce his asking price while also stating
he would not accept peanuts for the job.

“Of course I am not
saying they must pay the 12 million naira; we can negotiate and come to
an agreement but I won’t take peanuts,” he insisted.

Siasia argued that
he needs quality back room staff to complement his efforts and also a
good pay packet to avoid the temptation of being bribed by players.

“When the players
know I am well paid they won’t be coming with five thousand dollars or
whatever to come and bribe me,” he said.

With the deal now
inconclusive, current assistant coach Austin Equavoen is still expected
to pilot the affairs of the team having only recently led the Eagles
against South Korea in a friendly match which Nigeria lost 2-1.
Equavoen was reported to have accepted the offer to coach the country’s
Olympic team.

The last coach of
the Eagles, Lars Lagerback was given 1.5 million dollars for five
months to take charge of the team. And though he was given a semi final
target at the World Cup, the Eagles failed to make it beyond the first
round.

Click to Read More Sports Stories

Anichebe is the ideal striker

Anichebe is the ideal striker

It is believed that Newcastle coach, Chris Hughton, is looking
for a striker to add to his squad before the transfer window closes on August
31. And Nigerian international and Everton striker, Victor Anichebe has been
picked out to be the ideal player to score the goals and keep Newcastle United
in the Premier League.

The Magpies have made an enquiry for the 22-year-old, posing the
Toffees a dilemma over whether to cash in on a player whose contract is due to
expire next summer. An offer of £1.5m is on the table for the man who has been
described as a ‘traditional’ centre forward.

Anichebe, who has been in Everton since 2003 has said he is
happy at Everton and willing to stay put, but he may have to change his mind
very soon, as the club’s preference for Louis Saha, the arrival of Jermaine
Beckford and the likelihood that Yakubu Aiyegbeni will stay make his chances
very slim.

As things stand, Anichebe, who missed the Toffees’ season opener
at Blackburn on Sunday due to knee injury, will be free to talk to other clubs
from January and leave on a free transfer at the end of the season.

Versatile player

Newcastle, who are seeking extra attacking firepower, can offer
him the chance to forge a partnership with Andy Carroll at St James’ Park.
Although his goal scoring record is modest at best, his versatility – being
able to play as a striker, an attacking midfielder and a right winger at
Everton – is another attraction for Newcastle’s gaffer. Newcastle’s policy of
playing Carroll as a lone striker away from home could be adapted to
accommodate Anichebe cutting in from the right wing in a 4-3-3 formation.

Anichebe made his debut for Nigeria on March 26, 2008 in an
Olympic games qualifying match against South Africa. He came off the bench to
score the final goal in a 3-0 victory for Nigeria. He made his first start for
Nigeria alongside fellow Everton player Yakubu in a friendly against Austria on
27 May 2008 being replaced at half time.

In other transfer stories, Belgian side Club Brugge are rumoured
to be contemplating signing 2007 U-17 World champion, Rabiu Ibrahim after his
transfer VVV Venlo in the Netherlands collapsed, due to disagreements over
personal terms.

Nigeria’s captain to the 2010 World Cup, Joseph Yobo could also be switching
clubs as he is now fifth choice centre back behind Sylvain Distin, Phil
Jagielka, John Heitinga and Tony Hibbert.

Click to Read More Sports Stories