Archive for nigeriang

Akande joins Presidency race

Akande joins Presidency race

Harry Akande, the
former Board of Trustees chairman of the All Nigeria Peoples Party
(ANPP), has declared his intention to contest in next year’s
Presidential election on the platform of the party.

Mr. Akande made the
declaration during a tour of some northern states, saying there is
increasing pressure on him to run for the plum job. He said he will no
longer ignore the pressure.

Last month, the
billionaire businessman lost in a bid to become chairman of the party
during its national convention on September 19. He lost to the current
chairman, Ogbonnaya Onu by 1479 to 3945.

Race to win

His entry into the
race brings to three the number of ANPP members wishing to vie for the
presidency. The others are the governor of Kano State, Ibrhahim
Shekarau and Bashir Othman Tofa.

“People requested
me to run presidency, the overture is high and I don’t think I will
keep off from the will of the people. I will be running for presidency
to win election, and not to posture or put my name on the list,” Mr
Akande told party faithful in Katsina.

“Gone are the days
when people say that what is important is to participate at the
Olympics and not winning the medals. That is simply a case of wanton
waste of resources and energy, as well taken failure as a norm.” Mr
Akande noted that his entry into the race was premised on his
commitment to women and youth development in the country.

He pledged to
manage the resources of the nation prudently, adding that Nigeria could
rank among the best countries in the world if it finds a man who can
provide the right leadership.

The politician said
he is still in love with the ANPP despite his failure to become
chairman, stressing that “the party belongs to the people and those who
have the interest of the people at heart must resist every attempts by
some few individuals turning it to their personal political
instrument.” He added, “My advocacy and struggle in the party is to
establish that ANPP belongs to the people and the real people must be
given the right to choose their leader. Consensus is no more a
contemporary language in politics, election is the hallmark of every
good Democracy.”

Click to Read More Latest News from Nigeria

‘Dokpesi lied about Jonathan Campaign’

‘Dokpesi lied about Jonathan Campaign’

President Goodluck
Jonathan never contacted the former chairman of DAAR Communications,
owners of the African Independent Television (AIT) and Raypower Radio,
Raymond Dokpesi, to head his campaign organisation, the Goodluck/Sambo
Presidential Campaign Organisation, said yesterday in Abuja.

The organisation
was reacting to Mr. Dokpesi’s media interview at the weekend in which
he denied he said he was being roped into the October 1 bomb attacks
because of his refusal to head Mr. Jonathan’s team.

Mr. Dokpesi, who is
the director general of Ibrahim Babangida Campaign Organisation, was
quizzed last week by the State Security Service (SSS) over his alleged
involvement in the incident. He is believed to be reporting daily to
the security organisation.

But in a statement
yesterday, titled ‘Disclaimer: Dokpesi was never under consideration’,
the president’s campaign handlers said Mr. Dokpesi was never approached
for the job.

“The attention of
the Goodluck/Sambo Presidential Campaign Organization has been drawn to
certain utterances by the Director General of the Babangida Campaign
Organization, Chief Raymond Dokpesi, to the effect that he was
suffering an imagined political persecution because he declined to head
our campaign organisation.

“Nothing could be
farther from the truth. At no time was Chief Dokpesi considered for
such a role. He never made it to anybody’s short list or long list,”
the statement, signed by Sully Abu, its spokesperson, said.

The organisation
said Mr. Dokpesi’s claim defies political common sense “as such
position is normally given to someone outside the geographical zoneof
the aspirant. Dokpesi, being from the South South, as is President
Jonathan, could never have been considered for such a position.”

Campaign tour

Meanwhile, the
organisation, led by its director general, Dalhatu Tafida, will today
arrive in Sokoto in the north west geo-political zone, to begin a
nationwide “meet-the-stakeholders” tour.

Click to Read More Latest News from Nigeria

Bar association demands reversal of Aondoakaa’s suspension

Bar association demands reversal of Aondoakaa’s suspension

The Nigeria Bar
Association (NBA) has said the suspension of the Senior Advocate of
Nigeria title of former Minister of Justice and Attorney General of
Justice, Michael Aondoakaa, did not follow due process saying it was
ordered by the wrong body. It, therefore, called for the reversal of
the decision.

The body, in a
statement signed by its president, Joseph Bodunrin Daudu, the statutory
body responsible for such disciplinary measures is the Legal
Practitioners Disciplinary Committee (LPDC) and not the Legal
Practitioners Privileges Committee (LPPC), which issued the suspension.

Mr. Aondoakaa was
last week stripped of the title for a period of six months pending the
determination of a petition on his misconduct while he was the nation’s
chief law officer between 2007-2009.

On the argument
that the privileges committee possess powers to remove its appointees
from office, just as it is empowered to appoint, the NBA stated that
the Legal Practitioners Act, under the maxim Generalia Specialibus non
derogant, displaces ‘the general’ as it “does not envisage a
withdrawal, removal or suspension of the rank of Senior Advocate of
Nigeria” citing Section 5-(1)-(8) and 6 of the Legal Practitioners Act.

The association
stated that the rank of SAN is a leadership position, conferred only on
persons who have shown exemplary character and, consequently it can
only be taken away where another statutory body, the Legal
Practitioners Disciplinary Committee, adjudges the person accused of
infamous conduct or breach of any of the rules of professional conduct.

The NBA president
said the LPPC, notwithstanding its eminent membership, “cannot and is
not equipped to deal with matters of discipline.”

He added that the
LPPC’s foray into “looking at matters of the discipline of a lawyer
under the guise of suspending a person of the rank of SAN is ultra
vires, illegal, unconstitutional and therefore null and void.”

Error in procedure

The NBA also argued that the LPPC’s action against Mr Aondoakaa was pre-emptive as the petition is yet be to adjudged.

Mr Daudu said a
petition is a mere allegation which carries with it the presumption
that the object is presumed innocent until proven guilty. He said it is
condemnable to punish a person with the full weight of the law, such as
suspension or temporary stripping of the rank of SAN and public odium
attached to it and at the same time admit that the petition has not
been proven.

“We stand for the
promotion of the Rule of Law and regardless of the personality of the
person involved herein, we cannot acquiesce to a situation where a
person, legal practitioner and senior advocate is punished even before
the allegations are established against him, moreso by a body that
clearly has no jurisdiction to inquire into matters of alleged breach
of professional ethics,” the NBA president said.

“Unless and until the laws are changed, the power to discipline a
legal practitioner, silk and non silk alike, is vested exclusively in
the LPDC” the statement read.

Click to Read More Latest News from Nigeria

FG earmarks N500b lifeline for manufacturing sector

FG earmarks N500b lifeline for manufacturing sector

The vice president,
Namadi Sambo, has disclosed that the federal government has earmarked
N500 billion lifeline for the manufacturing sector to reactivate ailing
industries.

Mr. Sambo announced
this at the weekend in Kaduna while on a visit to the state. He said
that the lifeline was part of the administration’s efforts to speed up
the country’s economic development and create employment opportunities
for the youth and women.

The vice president
said that the funds would soon be released to manufacturers, adding,
however, that N40 billion, out of the N100 billion-textile revival
fund, had been disbursed.

Mr. Sambo also said
that 25 rail locomotives had been imported, adding that the locomotives
would soon commence operations, as part of efforts to revive rail
transportation in the country.

He said that the
federal government would soon award the contract for the rehabilitation
of the Kaduna-Abuja and Lagos-Ibadan fast train services.

He said that the efforts were aimed at revamping the transport system and facilitating movement of goods across the country.

Click to Read more Financial Stories

Post offices process 483bn letters annually – UPU

Post offices process 483bn letters annually – UPU

The director
general of Universal Postal Union (UPU), Edward Dayan, said that post
offices worldwide process more than 483 billion letters annually.

Mr. Dayan said in a
message on the World Post Day celebration on Saturday that while posts
processed 483 billion letters, mail volumes had continued to decline as
a result of electronic substitution and the recent financial crisis.

“And though
physical mail will not be disappearing overnight any time soon, despite
this down trend, posts are looking to the future by diversifying
products and services. Thanks to e-commerce, parcel volumes are taking
off. Posts in many countries are seeing annual growth rates of 20
percent in parcel volumes due to online sales,” he said.

He urged that the
post should be remembered for the relevant and valuable role it played
in the lives of billions of people and businesses, not only as a means
of communication, but also as a driver of economic growth.

Click to Read more Financial Stories

LG offers 300 youth skill training

LG offers 300 youth skill training

Port Harcourt City
local government area of Rivers State has trained more than 300 youth
in different skills, the chairman, Azubuike Nmerukini, said.

Mr. Nmerukini said
at the weekend that the youth received training for more than six
months in welding, carpentry, hairdressing, Information Communication
Technology, fashion, and design.

He said the council
would give the trainees take-off grants, adding that work on the
council’s skill acquisition centre had reached an advanced stage and
would be used to train future trainees.

“The aim is to make
them self-reliant or employed and thereafter train others from their
communities to be self-employed. The local government thought it wise
that in any society, everybody must not be a pen pusher and as such, we
set up skill acquisition programmes,” he said.

Click to Read more Financial Stories

Ibru’s assets to recapitalise Oceanic Bank, says CBN

Ibru’s assets to recapitalise Oceanic Bank, says CBN

The
assets recovered from Cecilia Ibru, the former chief executive officer
of Oceanic Bank, one of the banks found insolvent after the Central
Bank’s special audit last year, would help in refunding the bailout
funds injected into the bank by the CBN and help recapitalise the bank,
the Central Bank said at the weekend.

Mrs.
Ibru was last Friday convicted and sentenced to six months imprisonment
on a three-count charge of negligence, reckless grants of facilities
running into billions of dollars, and mismanagement of depository funds
by a Federal High Court sitting in Lagos. She is also to forfeit assets
and shares, contained in a schedule submitted to the court, worth N191
billion.

The
head, corporate affairs department of the bank, Mohammed Abdullahi,
also said the Asset Management Company would help manage the recovered
assets.

“As
you know, by the order of the court, the assets confiscated from Mrs.
Ibru will be transfered to and managed by the Asset Management
Corporation (AMCON) who will take the necessary steps,” Mr. Abdullahi
said.

“The
role of the AMCON is to assist in the recapitalication of the banks by
absorbing some of the toxic assets found to have been responsible for
the problems faced by the banks we had to intervene in,” he added.

Mr.
Abdullahi said the decision of the court regarding the transfer of the
assets to AMCON is clear. He said proceeds from whatever assets AMCON
would get “will now form part of the funds that are expected to be
refunded by the bank to the Central Bank, speaking specifically on the
N100 billion that was injected into the bank by the Central Bank last
year. We also believe that the assets should also assist in the
recapitalisation of the bank, to survive its present challenges.”

According
to him, the Central Bank is pleased with the decision of the court and
believes it is a vindication of the examination results of the special
audit carried out by the Central Bank and the Nigeria Deposit Insurance
Corporation (NDIC).

“We
are very happy that this decision has taken place, and it is a pointer
regarding what to expect as the determination of the Central Bank to
cleanse the banking sector and ensure that corrupt practices are not
only prevented from happening, but that those found responsible are
made to face the law, rather than walk away freely with their loot,” he
said.

Outstanding court cases

The
Central Bank’s spokesperson said the outstanding court cases are being
vigorously pursued by the EFCC, and a prosecution team has been set up
to handle the cases.

“Based
on the fact that the same examination conducted by the NDIC and the CBN
found similar infractions against those that are still in court, we are
hoping that the cases would take their due course and at the end of the
day, all the other MDs would face the music in the same way that Mrs.
Ibru is facing hers now, if they are found guilty,” he said.

Significance of the ruling

The
Central Bank said the significance of this decision on the ongoing
banking reforms is the vindication of the Central Bank and the NDIC.

“In
the process of these reforms, the Central Bank and its leadership have
been accused of regional, religious and even personal agenda, as
reasons for embarking on these reforms. This ruling has, therefore,
made a lie of all the allegations.

“I
also believe that it has given an impetus to the dedication of the
leadership of the Central Bank to ensure that depositors funds are
protected and all those who dipped their hands into funds given to them
on trust would never get away, but would face the music, no matter
their position in the society,” Mr. Abdullahi said.

Click to Read more Financial Stories

Increased dollar buying weakens the Kenya shilling

Increased dollar buying weakens the Kenya shilling

A rising Kenyan
import bill is an important factor behind increased central bank dollar
buying and there is no intention to intervene to influence the value of
the shilling, the head of the central bank said on Saturday.

Foreign exchange
dealers have grumbled that fundamentals dictate the shilling should be
stronger, but that central bank purchases of foreign currency have
capped its gains.

“Dollar purchases
are to protect reserves and to build up reserves, not just for fun,”
central bank governor, Njuguna Ndung’u told Reuters on the sidelines of
the International Monetary Fund and World Bank meetings in Washington.

“Our import bills have risen significantly to slightly over $1
billion a month, so it means that keeping four months of import cover
means being in the neighbourhood of $4 billion,” Mr. Ndung’u said.

Click to Read more Financial Stories

Egypt inflation rises by 11 percent

Egypt inflation rises by 11 percent

Urban consumer
inflation in Egypt inched up to 11.0 percent in the 12 months to
September, from 10.9 percent in the year to August, the state-run
CAPMAS statistics agency said on its website on Sunday.

Nine analysts
forecast an average of 11.12 percent for urban inflation – the most
closely watched indicator of prices. Forecasts ranged from 9.6 percent
to 12.9 percent.

Click to Read more Financial Stories

Africa currency management improves

Africa currency management improves

African states
rebounding from the global downturn are far better placed than in the
past to ensure currencies do not become overvalued and damage
competitiveness, a top World Bank official said on Saturday.

World Bank managing
director, Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala, said, however, that rising capital
inflows could become a concern as African countries attract more money
from short-term investors seeking higher returns.

Global currency
tensions are at the center of discussions at meetings of the
International Monetary Fund and World Bank in Washington this weekend.

“The continent has
implemented remarkably sensible policies. Fiscally, they’ve been
responsible. Exchange rate management has been reasonable. People have
learned the lessons of overvaluation in the past,” Okonjo-Iweala told
Reuters.

Click to Read more Financial Stories